43 Things To Do When You Stop Watching Television
Over a year ago, I stopped watching television. In fact, I don’t even own a television. It’s saved me money, freed up my time, and given me back my opinions. When I tell people I don’t have a television, they always respond with shock and awe, followed by either admiration or scowl.
I usually get the following questions:
- What do you do with all that time?
- How do you know what’s going on?
- Don’t you get bored?
Here are some answers:
- Save $2000 a year from cable and electricity.
- Engage in your life instead of watching people pretend to live theirs.
- The average American spends 28 hours week watching television. Reclaim your time.
- Make love passionately for hours.
- Visit another city, state, or country on your savings.
- Go to the spa every month.
- Go salsa dancing.
- Take bellydancing, yoga, pottery, name-of-the-class-you’ve-always-wanted-to-take-but-didn’t-have-the-money-to classes.
- Learn to invest.
- Pay off your debt.
- Read a book a week.
- Enroll in courses for a degree.
- Get a part time job.
- Start a business.
- Become a Toastmasters’ Competent Communicator.
- Canvass for your favorite presidential candidate.
- Develop your spiritual practice.
- Take bellydancing, yoga, pottery, name-of-the-class-you’ve-always-wanted-to-take-but-didn’t-have-the-time-to classes.
- Acquire leadership skills by serving as an officer in your favorite organization.
- Screen your news.
- Get information from consciously chosen sources.
- Create your own standards for living.
- Visit museums.
- Create your own beauty standards.
- Experience joy.
- Meet your neighbors.
- Talk to your neighbors.
- Make friends.
- Reconnect with friends.
- Explore the city you live in.
- Attend concerts, dance recitals, and plays.
- Visit local art shows.
- Discover music.
- Plant a garden.
- Get a pet.
- Go for aimless walks.
- Watch birds, lizards, and other creatures.
- Babysit for a friend.
- Search for the Truth.
- Date yourself.
- Go to bed and wake up early.
Guess which 5 I haven’t done 😉